What information do we collect about you?
We collect information about you when you register with us or place an order for products or services. If you voluntarily complete customer surveys, provide feedback or participate in competitions run by companies in the Premier Farnell group we may also collect information about you. We also collect website usage information using cookies (see section below on Cookies).
How will we use the information about you?
We collect information about you to process your order and manage your account. We may also use this information to contact you about special offers, events and other products and services we think may be of interest to you. We may also permit companies in the Premier Farnell group to contact you about special offers, events and other products and services we think may be of interest to you where you have consented to this.
We use your information collected from the website to personalise your repeat visits to our websites using cookies (see section below on Cookies). Each time you use the site we’ll also collect information including domain name/IP address, referring URL, browser and platform, time of visit, pages visited and any searches performed – this information may be used to help us improve the performance of our website and for assessing the suitability of or requirements for certain services.
If you allow us, we may monitor and record telephone conversations with you and use them for staff training, quality and security purposes.
Will we pass your information to anyone else?
We may share your information with the following:
- other companies within the Premier Farnell group and certain third parties who provide us with services. These group companies and third parties will only use your information to provide these services or help us to improve our website or services. They will do so as our data processors and will handle your information on our behalf and in accordance with our instructions. Some of these processors may be based outside of Ireland and your information may therefore be transferred and handled outside of Ireland (including, in some cases, outside Europe). Where this applies we will take steps to ensure adequate protection of your information;
- credit reference agencies and other similar companies, in order to carry out credit reference searches, for fraud prevention and to pursue debtors, and we may also obtain information about you from such companies;
- any companies or people that we might in the future sell our business or part of our business to.
If you allow us to, we may share your information with other companies in the Premier Farnell group for marketing purposes but we will not share your information with any third parties outside our group for their marketing purposes.
We and other Premier Farnell group companies would like to send you information about the products and services we offer which may interest you. You may at any time opt out from receiving marketing information. If you no longer want us to contact you for marketing purposes please either click here to update your preferences or contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org (letting us know what type of marketing you no longer wish to receive) or by telephone on 1800 936 198. Even though you may have opted out of future information or communications, where it is necessary to contact you concerning products or services you have requested, you consent to our contacting you at any address provided.
Access to stored data and information you provide is password protected and access to passwords is limited. Firewall technology is used to prevent unauthorised access and servers are backed up daily, with archives stored in a secure location.
Our website uses SSL (“Secure Socket Layer” technology), the de facto standard for internet security. SSL is an open protocol for secure data communications across computer networks. Broad support for this protocol promotes interoperability between products from many organisations. It provides an environment in which e-commerce can be conducted and data can be safely encrypted and protected. SSL provides a straightforward method for adding strong security to existing applications and network infrastructures. SSL is application protocol independent and provides:
- encryption, which creates a secure channel to prevent others from tapping into the network,
- authentication, which uses certificates and digital signatures to verify the identity of parties in information exchanges and transactions, and
- message integrity, which ensures that messages cannot be altered en route.
Our website is authenticated for e-commerce by VeriSign, the world’s leading website authentication authority.
Farnell is committed to supporting Payment Card Industry security standards and good security practices. As such, we use industry standard security practices and tools to ensure the security of your credit card information. We work with our authorising banks and business partners to ensure the security of our customer's information and are constantly reviewing our security position to ensure that it is aligned to PCI requirements.
Retention of Payment Card Details
We may retain your payment card details, strictly for the purposes of taking payment for any orders you place with us. We will also retain these details to expedite any future purchases you may make with us. We protect any card data we retain by revealing only the last four digits of the account number when confirming an order with you. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural controls in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of any personally identifiable information we retain. We take our security obligations very seriously and we would also ask you take sensible measures to ensure that you protect your account details, including ID and password, to prevent them from being used in any unauthorised way. We would recommend that you log out of your account fully and take steps to delete any browsing history and cookies that may be stored to prevent that information being used by an unauthorised user.
How to contact us